Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Reasons by Christine -- my NaNoWriMo novel?

After a quick deliberation and a double check with my gut, I've decided to start writing about my life in San Francisco. Welcome to my brain.

Let's start with Reasons, Part I.

Reasons why I am unable to bring lunch to work:

I've never been able to bring lunch to anything. I never brought my lunch to school growing up - and I derive way too much pleasure from the indecision that is the hour that breaks up my day. After waking up bleary eyed on a cold, crisp morning, I focus my brain enough to get dressed, find socks that are definitely not matching, unless they're new - and run out the door. On a good day, my purse is stuffed full of snacks. This morning, I had a juicy apple, a knife, a container of sriracha, and some pea snacks. Tomorrow, I will bring a juicy and delightful pear with granola.

Thinking about breakfast is a feat in itself for me. Lunch - now lunch is a different story. The countdown from 11 - the hand wringing, the indecisiveness, the 1st world problem of it all. It's wonderful. Shall I Gchat all of my friends in the area to find a buddy that meets the geographical constraints that I'm willing to travel? Shall I escape and order Thai food at a location that's too far away? Or perhaps I'll eat delicious Chinese food that's charged by weight with free soup that I eat alone upstairs with no one to accompany other than my Kindle version of Outlander. Maybe I'll stand in line with a bunch of finance guys and eat Jimmy John's which I know isn't really that good, but it reminds me of my freshman year of college living in Brumby, next door to a Jimmy Johns, and still ordering delivery.

Getting up and leaving my desk at work mid-day - bringing my Kindle and eating food that's cheaper than it would be at dinner with similar portion sizes - mm, lunch is definitely the bargain meal. Leaving my desk and walking in the sunlight helps clear my head briefly and makes me want to punch someone less at 3:30 pm every day.

Lunch purchases: justified. If I had a stamp, I'd give my own stamp of approval.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin