Sunday, October 4, 2009

What is your favorite book?

A well organized meeting of strangers usually includes some good icebreakers.

College is the sweet spot for icebreakers, it's perfectly socially acceptable to reveal horribly deep secrets about yourself that usually include sometimes a taboo sexual experience (you know who you are, you sluts, you ;) Two truths and a lie, Never Have I Ever.... these games are fun while sitting in a circle, by candlelight, at a dining room table, or accompanied by booze.

I am always a fan of icebreaking games, they really do work. Telling people strange facts about yourself is always interesting because, at the end of the day, friends don't become friends with each other from asking each other where they're from. They become friends because they know each other's secrets, they've somehow found a common block from which to build a friendship.

When you're younger, you have to meet people the awkward way = you band together while against a common foe. Later in life, it happens again. People organize themselves among common experiences, interests, or activities. Today, I attended one of these events where I entered into a circle that I knew I would be welcome, despite the fact that I knew no one.

As a sorority girl in college, I knew that I would one day be able to call on any sister, no matter the community that I would reside in. I just never thought I would. Well, a little more than a year later, I've done it. I called upon the Potomac chapter, and they've welcomed me into their alumnae network...

Just one unforeseen hurdle.... Everyone in the Potomac chapter is in the least 12 years older than me. Irma is 65+. Eeks. These will not be girls that I booze with at night. These are ladies, with daughters my age, with jobs, careers, and the ones that are 35 are 12 years more worried about getting married. They've led complete lives and they can do whatever they choose. I cannot. How was I going to talk to these ladies? Icebreak this situation, duh!

Whew! Well! My icebreaker question was pretty simple. What is your favorite book/publication? Who can name a favorite book right off the top of their head? I shall doff my hat to you sir, if you can!

First possible answer: True, but boring. I can identify genres of books that I like to read, but my favorite would probably be Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children. *yawwwwwwwwn* boring.

Bad icebreaker answer.

My answer: I read two types of books/publications in my spare time, on the metro on my way to and back from work. The first is the Economist, the smart publication that I hold up proudly. I recently caught a deal from NYmag, 12 issues from $12, which you can bet that I jumped on like a rabid dog. When I pull out my Economist, I wave it around on the metro, like a flag that signals the men on the Hill that I'm smart, I'm in the Know and that I am a conscientious citizen of the world. But my secret pleasure, which you know already if you know me, is romance novels. When I open one, I can't shut it and usually I'm bent over reading a romance novel whose front cover I have open on my leg, so that no eyes can see the busty Victorian woman being held by the dashing gentleman on the front cover. I feel deliciously naughty reading that awesomely descriptive trash while sitting on my orange metro car. I'm usually pretty wary about reading these because I'm afraid of what people might accidentally catch from reading over my shoulder, but at the end of the day, I don't care thaaaat much. My biggest fear when I bring my romance novels to work is that my bag might knock over and that my secret may be revealed to my charges, my 1st and 2nd graders. Imagine what a kick that would be!

Good icebreaker answer... and If you couldn't tell, I talk a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin