Monday, November 1, 2010

The costume double standard

In China, your costume choices need to be extremely creative given limited exposure to resources. With careful thought and consideration, I finally settled upon being a Christmas tree after finding Christmas lights, tinsel and realizing that I LOVE CHRISTMAS.

I considered being blackmail (dressing in all black.. and sticking mail all over my body) and also tried on a variety of hats the night before...



Both, while extremely funny... was nothing as cheerful as Christmas. On the eve of our Halloween party, I had to get dressed early and run around town on a few errands to set up for the party. While running around, I had a giant yellow bow and a ton of blush on. People were looking at me like I had grown a third head. Two women who I have talked to on a occasion stopped me on the street to tell me how pretty I looked. The sad thing is in China, I can't say if they were mean-girl-ing me or if they were serious....Although one woman did ask me if I was in a performance of some sort...


Meanwhile, one of the other American fellows, Rachel was dressed as an 80s star, walking around her town, getting on an hour bus ride, walking through town and sitting down to a bowl of noodles, all.... to absolutely. no. scrutiny. [I'd like to think Rachel kind of looks like Robin Sparkles here (shout out to my HIMYM fans!).]

Yo China, stop with the double standard. I even had a cloak on, hiding the bulk of my tinsel and lights... but no, I look like a freak and not the girl in bright blue eye shadow? Oh man... I guess this is China. Blue shadow is okay here?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin