Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Baked Spinach Chips, Epic Fail

After the debacle with the sweet potato chips, I thought I would try a little something easier. Something I don't have to slice, something naturally thin. My food blogs have been talking about using other veggies, like kale or spinach. After viewing what they could look like for a few days now, I got excited and went to buy the ingredients.

what I saw.

I got started, things looked pretty goood.... I covered my spinach leaves with some balsamic vinaigrette dressing before sprinkling a little salt on top. Delicious? I thought so, too!

mm about to be a delight?

Little did I know that I was about to decimate my spinach and in their place, create delicious morsels of vegetables that were STUCK TO THE PAN. In my efforts to save calories, I did not spray the pan and wipe it down with oil. Oil free, the snack said, OIL FREE.

the potential here makes me sad.

I peeled off whatever I could salvage before trying my second batch. This time, I would use foil, but not oil. My eyes gleaming, the now, super shiny tray gleamed in return. Perhaps success would be mine!

So let's recap. I bought spinach leaves. I tossed in some balsamic vinaigrette. I laid them out. I put them on the sheet. I did not put oil, the recipe didn't call for it. I put the timer to 350. I put the sheet in. I set the timer for 7 mins and I stalked around.

I peeked in, the oven's light reflecting brightly off of the foil. My spinach leaves stuck themselves promptly to the foil and did not let go. What I needed was wax paper. This was the key. Too bad I don't have any, so I will concede this battle to the chips. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Finding a chip alternative has never been so hard and unsatisfying.

For what it's worth, what I could peel off was delicious and light and paper thin. I'm sure it has almost 0 calories and I will probably attempt to make these bad boys again.

3 comments:

  1. omg qiqi.....i laughed so hard when i saw your spinach chips pitifully stuck to the sheet pan. that picture you have of the spinach chips from the other food blogs is deceptive.

    do you not want to use even olive oil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek, so sorry it's not working for you! Try parchment paper, it's different than wax paper and it's what you use in baking to make sure cakes and cookies don't stick to the pan. You can get it at a good cooking supply store or a good grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, and some might still stick, but not nearly as many as that!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin