Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Give us another Schott!

Schott's Vocab Blog from the NYTimes is one man's attempt to catalog new words that have been brought up in current news and culture. Ben Schott is the author of Schott's Miscellany and Almanac, that represent a year's news as I had never previously seen it before. He arranges knowledge in a categorical manner that appeals to the OCD in me.

His vocab blog is the daily version of his genius. Thanks to him, I learn something every day.

These are some of recent vocabs of note from Schott's Blog:


If you like tidbits of information arranged in a quick and interesting manner, you should definitely look into Ben Schott's blog and books!

Here's another sample from his Miscellany.

So what's the point of me posting all these images and samples? Schott has brought hilarious quotes and meaning into my life. His ability to sort through information on a daily basis makes me laugh. Forever, these quotes* dominated my facebook:

"My god is a god who wants me to have things. He wants me to bling!" - Mary J. Blige (in US Weekly)
Mary J. Blige's god is awesome! This is the god I worship.

"In some ways, people are a lot like animals. We all hunger for the same things. Love, lust, danger, warmth and adventure. Like people, animals all have their own rhythm to life. I'm mesmerized by tigers." - Britney Spears (blog)
I confess, I was mesmerized by tigers as well, Britney. Until I conducted a behavioral survey of them when I was 12 at Zoo Atlanta. For 6 weeks, I went to the zoo and watched the tigers and cataloged their movements. I expected them to run around, rip their meat to shreds, and do other mesmerizing things. Instead, they laid around for 2 hours at a time and I checked the same behavior every 6 mins, 20x in a row. I haven't been to Zoo Atlanta since.

"I find myself pretty darn intelligent." - Lindsay Lohan (to British GQ)

Lindsey Lohan, Lindsey Lohan?!

These are - beyond words.

I'm sure they're taken out of context, but how fitting and awesome. Schott, I love you.

*Schott, Ben. Schott's Almanac 2007 (New York: Bloomsbury USA, 2006), 122-123.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin