Tuesday, April 14, 2009

I Spy a Copy!

I have always been a fan of Forever 21's cheap goodies and despite many places having accused the store of copying their goods, I've always been appreciative of this business model. Quick couture! I often like to look at expensive things for inspiration and then follow up by shopping at at Forever 21. I do not have the disposable income to buy 200$ shirts that I will only wear twice. But I do have enough money to spend 20$ on a shirt that I will wear perhaps.. about twice.

Intellectual property rights have intrigued me when concerning fashion. I did my college thesis on intellectual property right laws in China with a focus on trademark law. I wanted to be able to legitimately study intellectual property issues and write a 50 page paper on it. I also had to include a lot of Chinese history and trading agreements, etc. What I enjoyed doing especially was staring at fake Louis Vuitton goodies and debating the merits of why this is bad... a bad copy.

I've hardly ever been on the other side, having a shirt that Forever 21 has decided to copy. UNTIL NOW. I recently purchased a shirt at Urban Outfitters for $35 on sale, from it's original $50. This is chump change compared to other things that Forever 21 copies, but imagine my chagrin when I saw a similar shirt for only $25, at full price at Forever 21! What really yanks my chain is the fact that the Forever 21 shirt is in colors better suited for me. So it's a petty anger, and I mended this pain by actually going to Forever 21 and making some purchases that I'm sure are copies of other people's things. A woman in her 20s who has not admitted to shopping at Forever 21 is a) seriously rich, b) lying.

Anyway, this brings me to a common article that has been on many fashion blogs on the interwebs. Forever 21 has been forever in litigation over its business model. This time is no different. But damn, you have to admit, the copies are UNCANNY.

Forever 21 shirts on top, Trovata on bottom

The company bringing forth the charges is Trovata, and after some research, has a pricing point of circa $200. (294 for a cas white dress, 110 for a green tank top). I purchased two pairs of flip flops, a scarf, a necklace, and a belt for $40 today at Forever 21. If anything, I believe that Trovata's stock just rose slightly because I have never heard of their clothing and now I have.

A passage from Women's Wear Daily states that:
"Unlike other suits brought against Forever 21 in recent years by companies such as Diane von Furstenberg, Anna Sui, BeBe Stores and Anthropologie, the Trovata suit does not allege copyright violations. Under current law, only original prints or graphics on clothes can be copyrighted — as they are considered artwork — and Trovata’s suit focuses on Forever 21’s copying of its unique button placements, decorative stitching, fabric patterns and other details...."

I think that Trovata will have a hard time proving a substantive enough case that will affect the manner by which Forever 21, Mexx, MNG, Zara, and H&M do business. Coincidentally, these are ALL OF MY FAVORITE STORES. I actually relish when I'm on the other side of the copying schema, I normally just buy what I like, with no regard to what it could be a copy of. I shop at Antro and Forever 21 alike... as I believe many people my age do.

With this in mind, I decided to do a little investigating on my own. Doing something that I wouldn't normally do, looking at my favorite stores, then cross-checking for the Forever 21 website. I think I might have found something. Tell me what you think: (click to enlarge)


vs.


One is $25 on sale, versus the Forever 21 competition of being $5.80. Both are equally trendy, give about the same look, and you'll wear them the equal amount of times with same outfits. If given a choice, I'm picking Forever 21. Urban Outfitters has a right to be angry but hopefully people just don't know better. I hope this was educational!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin