Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cold Anger

There's something to be said about the weather. When you have nothing to talk about, you know you can talk about the weather. Weather, the go to topic about nothing. Except when it's something...

I am a resident of Georgia. The Peach State. We have property, porches and football. All of that exists with the understanding of warm - hot temperatures. I can recall fondly and wistfully my days in high school where one day in winter, it would venture below freezing and I would be scrambling to find tights or hose to wear underneath my skirts - that was when nude/tan pantyhose was cool (btw, it's not now). I didn't own anything fleece until that stupid Old Navy commercial came out and pierced my consciousness. Light jackets were always enough.

i live here!

What I'm trying to say is, this year has changed. This year is different. Perhaps this year is different because I also have a job and need to wake up quite early and face the freezing cold outside... But there are understood laws in the world. Georgia is to be warmer than anything higher in latitude at all times (mostly I am talking about NYC and DC). People in the South enjoy exposing skin and wearing pastel colors. Instead, I have to constantly see overweight moms weighing their performance fleeces combined with ill-fitting mom-jeans. Instead of flinging off the cold weather, my body thinks that deep hibernation is necessary. I don't even want to talk about my eating habits this past month!

Forget the suppositions, it's actually because IT IS A LOT COLDER this year than any year that I can remember. Tomorrow when I wake up, it will be 25F and feel like 12F. Humor me when I say that I'm upset. When people move to Minnesota, they know that they are in a frigid hell with constant snow and the incessant need for wool socks and boots that must be water resistant. My refusal to wear pants at work is forcing me to be extremely cold. I own 20 pairs of tights now, there's no more scrambling to find nudey tan underthings - matte, sweater, lace, dotted, criss-cross, floral, florescent colors - Tights, you are my bitch lover. Good thing I'm also extremely stubborn. I wish my frustration about the weather alone would heat my legs. Dear Georgia, stop being so cold. I miss being able to slide bare feet into flats!

not here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin