Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Chinese New Year!

It's the year of the Tiger! Le Tigreeeeee. I've spent about 30 mins thinking about how to soundly write a post on Chinese New Year.... culturally, I've never been able to take this holiday off at school, but I've wanted to every year. I thought about posting fortunes that you could look up on the internet, but I realized that I looked up mine quite a while ago and all I know is that THIS year is MY year. Therefore, it's not yours, so there's no point in showing off, really.

Hello Kitty is celebrating the CNY as well, as can be seen here:

 

and here!



Yes! This year, my habits of making RAWR noises is totally legit. I contemplated buying Le Tigre polo shirts, but polo shirts make my boobs look weird!

The TimesUK had a photo slide show of Chinese New Year in Beijing; I stared at it longingly.

 
click to enlarge!

I remember only 3 years ago when I was in Beijing during the New Year, buying random pig paraphernalia and going to large crowded festivals where a ton of Beijing-rs hung out. Little children wearing backless emperor costumes, the unnecessary need to buy things with pigs on them, including headbands and stuffed animals.... Meanwhile, the mass exodus of non-native Chinese people leaving the city making Beijing a ghost town of services. Chinese New Year began the month where I ate out of the grocery store for a month because no restaurants were open. I climbed to the rooftop of the library on the Capital University of Economics and Business campus and watched the fireworks explode from every surface for hours on end. Lawlessness concerning cheap fireworks = scarily amazing dangerous fireworks display! 


新年发财! 红包拿来!

Happy Chinese New Year, everyone! Wear red to scare away evil spirits and bad fortune! Feel free to mail me a red envelope stuffed with cash! Sorry this post isn't more edifying, but here's a wiki on Chinese New Year in case you wanted to learn more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin