Saturday, November 28, 2009

CUPCAKE SAGA!

So, as I just noticed by scrolling up and down my blog, it's become a photo album and nothing more. I'm here to remedy that, immediately.

In these past few months, beginning with my birthday, I've begun to have a small obsession with baking cupcakes. I don't mess with the cupcake itself. Funfetti is IT. Why mess with a mix that has already put the fun in it? (and an extra cup of pudding! for moistness - moist moist moist moist moist moist eeeuuuyuck)

Here is the progression of my descent into obsession:
First came these:



Total baking time: 3+ hours.

Then, these.(Halloween inspired...) Since I work with kids all day, I make the cupcakes for THEM :)

 

Well, November came and I decided to continue with my treat. But what would be my theme? I had originally wanted to make turkey cupcakes in honor of Thanksgiving, but trust me, it involved candy corn, which was already inaccessible since it was post Halloween and some damn the possibility for some heinous looking turkeys was not encouraging.


Hmmm... as it was for the kids, I couldn't truly experiment with the flavor of the cupcakes, because many of them don't like chococolate, and forget about pumpkin spice or some other sort of delicious treat that's more sophisticated. I work with six year old babies that are not afraid to reject my love.

Back to the icing board. How to decorate? I searched for cupcakes via cupcakestakethecake.blogspot.com/ and found rainbows! I could dye the cake (too complicated) or.. just do lots of different icing colors... in rainbow order of course.

With my delicious decision formed, I got to work. First came the Funfetti. Sooo fun.


Then, the icing mixtures. Apparently, on the back of the food dye, there's a small chart that teaches you how many drops you need to make the colors, oops. Didn't see that until I was finished.



And finally, the hardest, most complicated part, to make fun swirly designs on the cupcakes to make them special for me, while knowing the entire time that the kids won't even notice as they shove those cupcakes in their mouths. After a lot of pondering and mixing, here are some of my favorites:
I love how the sun hits this one!




These are in honor of autumn, my favorite season.

 

And here's a sampling of the rest:



After I baked them and photographed them to the best of my ability, I put them in this Martha Stewart cupcake carrying case and took them via the Metro all the way to class! In the end, they arrived safe and sound into the mouths of babes.

The best part of making cupcakes is that I actually don't like eating them. I only like the smell of them and the process of creating all the designs on the tops. Total baking time: 4+ hours. It might be a while before I give it another go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin